On August 31 I commented on U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann’s recent interview with Drew Zahn of WorldNetDaily (“Bold, conservative Bachmann hints at ‘Mrs. President’ Future,” Aug. 15, 2009), in which she said, when asked if she would consider a run for president:
“If I felt that’s what the Lord was calling me to do, I would do it. … When I have sensed that the Lord is calling me to do something, I’ve said yes to it. But I will not seek a higher office if God is not calling me to do it. That’s really my standard. If I am called to serve in that realm I would serve … but if I am not called, I wouldn’t do it.”
The WND interview also paraphrases Bachmann as saying that “much of the ridicule she endures is because powerful women with conservative views” don’t fit the liberal mold.
“I’m not afraid to be a social or fiscal conservative, and that doesn’t fit their template,” she told WND. “Democrats see women as yet one more dependency group, but I defy that.” … “I also think they’re upset that I’m willing to go on radio and TV shows and call them out on their policies,” she continued. “They’ve thrown just about everything they can throw at me and they haven’t prevailed yet, and I think that infuriates them.”
Now, in a soap opera-like sequel to her chronic search for enemies, Bachmann has played the gender card again, contending on Mike Gallagher’s radio program that Democrats want to take her down because they fear she could become the first woman president of the United States:
BACHMANN: Also with women politicians, they want to make sure no women, no woman becomes president before a Democrat woman, and so they’re doing everything they can to, I think, sabotage women like Sarah Palin, perhaps women like myself, or similarly situated women, to make sure that we don’t have a prominent national voice. But the thing is, the people in our country … just want someone … speaking out for them against what will certainly bring about the destruction of our great country if we continue to go down the Obama path.
For additional reporting, check back later for updates on this post.
In 2006, Michele Bachmann said God told her to run for Congress. Now, she’s awaiting Word on whether God wants her to run for president. (Photo credit: The Minnesota Independent)
Michele Bachmann will run for president if God calls her (Aug. 16, 2009)
Will God tell Michele Bachmann to run for president? (Aug. 17, 2009)
Michele Bachmann, God and false witness (Aug. 17, 2009)
Michele Bachmann’s latest interesting theory (Sept. 5, 2009)
Bachmann in upper half of 15 candidate-field in CPAC presidential straw poll
Texas congressman Ron Paul (30 percent) won the straw poll at the Conservative Political Action Conference for the second straight year on Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011, with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (23 percent) finishing second.
Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann received 4 percent of the vote for a joint 6th-place finish with former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels.
On the first-and-second-place Combo Ballot, Paul received 30 percent of first-choice votes and 7 percent of second-choice votes, for a total of 37 percent; Bachmann received 4 percent of first-choice votes and 6 percent of second-choice votes, for a total of 10 percent; and Pawlenty received 4 percent of first-choice votes and 5 percent of second-choice votes, for a total of 9 percent.
Out of the 15 candidates on the Combo Ballot, Paul ranked 1st, Bachmann 6th, and Pawlenty 7th. Sarah Palin came in 9th, with 3 percent of first-choice votes and 4 percent of second-choice votes, for a total of 7 percent.
Related reports on this site
Bachmann Running for President (March 24, 2011)
Bachmann: Queen of the Fringe (Aug. 25, 2010)
Bachmann Reels in CNN (Nov. 18, 2009)
FROM THE ARCHIVES: One Year Ago Today — September 9, 2008
One year ago today, on Primary Election Day, the 57th day of my campaign against U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann for the Republican nomination as House of Representatives candidate in Minnesota’s 6th Congressional District, I called on 6th District citizens to exercise their right to vote and featured some photos chronicling my final campaign swing through the Sixth District the previous day, down the I-94 / Highway 10 corridor from St. Cloud to Blaine.
Gander Mountain outdoor store, Blaine, with the 1989 Campaign SUV in the foreground.
You must be logged in to post a comment.